Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Ray Horton Presentation

Yesterday, I attended a presentation given by a Mercyhurst alumni, Ray Horton. At first I didn't want to go, because I had heard it was going to be mostly on the subject of grad school, which is far from my mind as I'm only a college freshman. I went anyways though, and am glad to say so. Ray Horton is an impressive person, and he made me seriously think about grad school. It was also very comforting to have him talk to our group of fellow English majors, because we were able to share things about our major that make us nervous or scared or frustrated. 

My main concern that I addressed in front of the group is that, coming from a very small and "uncultured" town in Western New York, I often feel that I am behind the eight ball when it comes to knowing about literature. At my high school, where my grad class consisted of around 85 students, I didn't have the opportunity to take AP classes, because they were never offered at my school. I didn't read the same high-level books that others have already divulged, and that makes me scared that I will be seen as an ignorant girl from a farming town. 

I'm trying my best to keep up though, and my biggest hope for the future is that I will come out strong, possibly attending grad school and constantly keeping the bar for myself high, because I know that I can eventually make something of myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment